Children’s Inn Takes Measures to Protect Families During COVID-19 – How You Can Help
March 27, 2020
During these most challenging times, The Children’s Inn continues to provide a supportive “place like home” for seriously ill children and their families. Our young residents’ well-being depends on the treatments they receive at the NIH – and families know they can depend on The Inn for accommodations, hot meals and so much more.
“Our families’ safety always comes first,” shares Jennie Lucca, CEO of The Children’s Inn. “The children and young adults who stay with us are participating in groundbreaking clinical research studies for their life-threatening conditions. Many are separated from loved ones at home and, of course, the COVID-19 pandemic greatly increases everyone’s worries.”
Until further notice, we have significantly modified the way we provide services. The Inn has implemented the following safety measures and changes:
- Suspended all visitors, including volunteers.
- Mandated a health screening for every person before entering the building.
- Limited on-site staff to essential employees in resident services and family programming.
- Shifted family programs to take place via social media. Please see The Inn’s March family activities calendar.
- Canceled our largest annual fundraiser, An Evening for Hope, set for April 25, 2020. However, we are planning to host an auction virtually. Stay tuned for more updates.
Here are the most impactful ways you can make an immediate difference for families with seriously ill children whose treatments cannot wait:
Thank you for giving our children and families “a place like home” during these stressful and uncertain days.
To stay updated on COVID-19, visit the NIH website for the latest details.
March 13, 2020
The health and safety of our Children’s Inn family is always our top priority. As COVID-19 expands in communities around the world, The Children’s Inn at NIH is taking measures to help keep the children and families we serve safe. This is especially important since families staying at The Inn are faced with serious health issues such as cancer, genetic immune deficiencies and other rare diseases that place the children at a greater risk for becoming extremely ill.
In an effort to help keep our families safe, The Children’s Inn has temporarily:
- Stopped visitor access
- Implemented symptoms screening protocols for anyone entering the building
- Suspended all volunteer activities and scheduled tours
- Suspended staff travel to external trainings and large gatherings
- Enhanced cleaning standards
The Children’s Inn will continue to carefully evaluate conditions based on guidance from the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and adjust policies and procedures as recommended. Please check this website for updates or stay informed by signing up for our email notifications. You may also visit the NIH’s Coronavirus page for additional information.
The Children’s Inn needs your help! Meals provide comfort and support to our families. While volunteer groups are temporarily suspended from providing meals for safety reasons, your support of our Feeding Families Program can make all the difference. Your financial contribution will help cover the costs of providing meals and show our families how much you care. Thank you!
Together, we can navigate these uncertain times so Inn residents will receive the support they so greatly need. Thank you for your dedication to the brave families we serve.
– Your Children’s Inn Team