You, Celebrity Chef José Andrés, the first lady of the United States, corporations, restaurants, distilleries and foundations have all pitched in to help provide meals, activities, safety equipment and joy to the children and families who call The Children’s Inn home during the pandemic.
Inn staffer Melody Phuong and Chef José Andrés unload his car, packed with food
prepared by his team at World Central Kitchen.
Your caring support is allowing children with difficult-to-treat leukemia to access a groundbreaking immunotherapy trial that is their best hope to put their cancer into remission, for children with fatal genetic diseases to undergo the first and only gene therapy treatment available in the world, and for young people with rare and potential deadly immune deficiencies to access stem cell transplants that are their only chance for a cure. Thank you for giving the gift of hope to children and families who need it most!
A big, “Thank you!” goes from our hearts to:
- You for every donation — big and small — you make to help save children’s lives now and relieve the burden of illness on their families.
- José Andrés and his nonprofit World Central Kitchen for providing breakfast and dinner to Inn families since mid-April.
Chef José Andrés unloads his World Central Kitchen van with food donations to The Children’s Inn. Photo courtesy of World Central Kitchen.
- First lady Melania Trump for sending the White House executive chef, pastry chef and ushers to hand-deliver scrumptious mac-and-cheese meals to our children and families along with a letter of encouragement and appreciation, shown below.
White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford, Executive Pastry Chef Susan Morrison, and ushers.
A letter of encouragement from first lady Melania Trump.
- Bethesda restaurants Hanaro Sushi, Kusshi Sushi, Smoke BBQ, Roti, &pizza for providing discounted meals for our children and families.
- Bethesda restaurant Summer House Santa Monica for donating cookies and wonderful gift cards to Inn families.
- Arts-n-STEM 4 HEARTS for donating 100 homemade masks, Mother’s Day cards kit and two canvas paintings created by Amber Briscoe, founder and president of Arts-n-STEM4Hearts.
- LUSH for amazing Mother’s Day gift boxes for all of our moms.
- Jenny Han, author of the popular book “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” which also has been turned into a successful movie, for holding a free book talk with our young adults and families.
- The Ritzrow family for providing thoughtful treasures so our children enjoy little gifts every day.
- Tammy Schmidt, a Children’s Inn welcome desk volunteer, Mariela Light, an NIH human resources specialist, and Children’s Inn supporter Cinthia Escavage, for sewing reusable protective masks for our children and families. The fun patterns have been extremely popular! Also a big thanks to Children’s Inn board member Lois Alperstein and family for providing additional masks as well as Laura Chopp, a doctoral fellow and NIH fellow, for sewing reusable masks with her family.
Some of the many fabric face masks donated by our wonderful supporters.
- Sophia Tong with T and T Consulting Services, Inc. for donating 350 surgical masks.
- The Amazing Max for performing a virtual magic show to delight our children.
Inn resident Princess enjoys The Amazing Max’s virtual magic show.
- Cotton & Reed rum distillery and McClintock Distilling for making and donating hand sanitizer to The Inn.
- Captain McBain of the Montgomery County Police Department for playing Bingo virtually with Children’s Inn families.
- Long-time volunteer Fred Gordon for donating lunch to Inn families prepared by his friend’s restaurant, Gregorio’s Trattoria.
Thank you for all you do! If you’d like to do more, please help us spread the word about what we need now and look over the ways you can best make a difference:
- Give to our Supporting Families fund: Make a donation of any size to help keep children and families safe and cared for while they seek potentially life-saving medical care by participating in groundbreaking NIH clinical research studies.
- Contribute items on our Amazon wish list: You can help keep The Inn’s community pantries stocked, so families always have non-perishable foods for cooking and snacking.
- Give gift cards (listed on our Amazon wish list) to allow children, young adults and families to buy needed food and other items while they are participating in potentially life-saving NIH clinical trials.
- Consider donating blood to the NIH Blood Bank to help children, young adults and others who participate in groundbreaking NIH clinical trials. A blood shortage makes your blood donations especially important now.
- Do you know someone who has recovered from the coronavirus? The NIH Blood Bank needs plasma donations from people who have recovered. Your blood donation may help fight this pandemic.
- Learn more about our virtual educational programming and offer your services.
- Give items like grocery store gift cards, and more, on our general wish list.