Upon check-in, each child along with his/her sibling(s) is assigned their very own mailbox where they can find a special treasure awaiting them every day. Each treasure brings many moments of happiness during their stay. Thoughtful Treasures can be crafted or store-purchased and are donated to us by members of the community who want to make that special difference in a child’s life.
- Quantity: at least 50 of the same or similar items
- Should not refer to hospitals, sickness, “get-well soon” or have any religious connotation.
- Rule of thumb: for children’s safety, we consider it a choking hazard if it can fit through a toilet paper roll
- We cannot accept used items, stuffed toys, Silly Putty, Playdough, balloons, food items, or bottles containing liquid.
- Mailbox dimensions: 5″ X 5″ X 15″
Ideas and Examples
You can find many creative ideas and craft projects on our Pinterest page or Oriental Trading. Some popular treasures include: Uno playing cards, goody bags,seasonal crafts, and things to keep children entertained during their treatments.
You can drop items off at The Children’s Inn any day of the week (weekends too) from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., or ship the items to the below address.
The Children’s Inn at NIH
In-Kind Donation Department
7 West Drive
Bethesda, MD 20814-1509
For more information contact Meghan Arbegast at [email protected] or 301-827-6054.