Meet Caribbean Resident: Markus
Patient Name: Markus
Age: 7 years old
Country of Origin: Jamaica
Diagnosis: Severe Aplastic Anemia
Q: Favorite American song/artist: Happy by Pharrell
Q: Name something you saw or experienced that you thought was strange in The United States of America: Halloween! The scary decorations and way too many sweets.
Q: What was your first thought when you walked through The Inn: Oh my God! I thought we were in a hotel. The Inn was so clean, spacious, simply a resort without a pool. A beautiful place with beautiful people.
Q: When you stayed at The Inn, what did you miss most about your country?
The Inn provided much for our comfort, however we miss our Jamaican Cuisine.
Q: What do you miss about The Inn when you are home? The caring/friendly staff, the different activities like trips and dinners, and of course, the Playground!
Q: Share a recipe of a traditional food you cooked here at The Inn:
Jamaican Pineapple Bake Chicken Recipe
1 – 4 lb chicken
2 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt (to taste)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
8 cloves garlic
2 stalks escallion
1 stalk celery
1 cup pineapple juice (leave chunks for garnish)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Cut, clean and wash chicken in vinegar/lime water.
- Blend thyme, garlic, escallion, celery, onion and then add to blended seasoning salt, black pepper and all purpose.
- Rub seasoning into chicken let marinate overnight or up to 2 hrs.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour (turn chicken after 30 mins.)
- Mix pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour sauce on to chicken to last 10 mins (cover bake chicken with goil after pouring on sauce.
- Remove from over garnish with pineapple chunks.